Bachkovo Monastery


Bachkovo Monastery

Bachkovo Monastery is Bulgaria’s second most important monastery with regard to size, architectural, artistic and literary significance. It was founded in 1083 by brothers Grigorii and Abbassi Bakouriani, Georgians by nationality. Destroyed by the Turks in the 15th century, the monastery was restored at the beginning of the 17th century.

Bachkovo Monastery, 11th century

The Cemetery Chapel is the only remaining building from the 11th century. The chapel sits on a hill above the monastery. The Church of the Archangels was built in the 12th century.

Bachkovo Monastery, view

The church of the Assumption of Our Lady was built in 1604. The paintings in the Church of St Nicolas are by Zahari Zograph (1840).

Bachkovo Monastery, view 2

The Monastery 16,000-volume library preserves many valuable manuscripts from 15th to 19th century, exclusive mural paintings, wood carvings and icons, gold weave materials and embroidery, a multitude of gold and silver church plates, collections of coins, weapons and jewelry.

Bachkovo Monastery, external murals

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblr
Facebooklinkedinyoutube